Sunday, February 17, 2013

Why Tri?

The Sarge after Swim Practice.  "Marshmallow anyone?"
The title is "Why Tri?", but it could be considered "Why Race at All?".  But, the title rhymes and as with alliteration, I also enjoy using rhyming phrases to catch people's attention.  (Yes, I am a total Edunerd!)  I put some serious thought into this question and even farmed the question out to Twitter and Facebook.  (I only received one response.)

Brian Lewis (of NCAE Fame) and I after my first 70.3
The response I received was from my dear friend and colleague Brian Lewis.  Presently, he, Roni Shoemaker and myself are all training for Ironman Raleigh 70.3.  We will be Team NCAE.  NCAE is the advocacy association for North Carolina public educators.  Brian also wants to use our training as a way to raise funds for the NCAE PAC.  Every mile we race, members can choose to donate a dollar towards the PAC.  It is an interesting idea, but I do believe that Meighan Davis could have come up with an even more interesting PAC fundraiser.  "We all miss you Meighan!!"  (This is in no way slighting Brian, just wish Meighan would have stayed in NC!)  But, onto the only response I received via Twitter, Brian (or @NCAEsDPB) stated that he trains so that he can eat his next meal.  (Or rather #lovetoEAT).  This is a common theme I hear from a lot of runners and triathletes.  I don't often here this from cyclists, but perhaps they are too busy worrying about "Race Weight" and how they perform whilst climbing.  (How's that coming Tommy Rodgers?)  I should be nicer, he is a pro mountain biker and will surely doll out the punishment to me on our next ride!
"Sweaty Bettys" and I getting new shoes!

Perhaps it is all about getting the latest bike, shoes, heart rate monitor or other gadget.  One thing is for sure, triathletes sure do like our technology!  Training today can encompass about as much data as standardized tests and formative assessments.  Essentially, all the "new gizmos" turn us into "Trigeeks or Trinerds!"  I'll admit it, it is fun to get new gear.  I think for the past several Christmases I have gotten new running shoes or some other gear.  (I have more running shoes than work shoes!)  This year I asked for my Rev3 Williamsburg entrance.  Triathlon takes over your life!!
The Calm before the Storm.



Honestly, I think the real reason I started training and racing was to escape life.  I had recently lost my first job and was so confused on where I was supposed to go and what to do. I would like to say it was for weight loss, although the initial purchase of my first bike a Trek 1500 was for that cause.  My mentor Philip Morgan, who now is the director of the athletic bands at Wake Forest University, introduced me to the bike.  (Years later, I introduced him to the joys of running.)  We would ride after work and between rehearsals this 20+ mile loop close to the school.  It was so much fun!  At first, it was a real sufferfest, but the more we rode, the stronger I became.  Then, BAM! cuts.  I was barely twenty-five years old and had a plan for how life was supposed to go.  That plan was rocked.  I chose to move back to Greensboro, home of my alma mater, and reestablish old friendships through SigEp and old college friends.  As I began to move back, the bike had become a huge part of my life.  I would get on the bike and race away from the utter pain and confusion I felt.  I began to slowly start to run.  Running truly connects you with the world; especially trail running.  I located a local bike shop and soon started to work there and learn more about the engineering behind the bike.  I made incredible friends there like the aforementioned Tommy Rodgers, Landen Acebo and Brent Lester (just to name a few).  These guys were serious amateur bike racers and signed me up the shop's local club team.  Little did I know what I was getting into.  Before I could blink, I had raced my first criterium and had a buzzed head (it was mandatory in the shop)!  I was all right at simply bike racing, but missed running and discovered a local sprint tri.  I raced it and came in third in my age group.  (It was a small race.)  I remember my brother and his now wife coming to watch.  It was a great moment.  It was at this small Tri that I decided to let go of bike racing and focus on Tri.  It was also here that I discovered that it wasn't so much about burying the pain with speed, but more about the awesome atmosphere surrounding Triathlon.
Lake Logan the beginning of an amazing friendship!
After a year of racing triathlon, it became less and less about running away from the pain of loss and more about cultivating new friendships and discovering that I could face new challenges.  I honestly believe that triathlon has made me more creative and more receptive.  I can push my body and hone my mind to endure the physical and mental challenges that occur in every race and take these experiences and apply them to life.  Perhaps, I have become a better teacher due to my life in Tri.  I can say that when I moved back to Greensboro that I interviewed throughout the system and accepted the new teaching position I was offerred while riding the bike.  (The bike was a Madone 5.9 SSL, the famed bike that carried Lance, along with lots of drugs, to his win on the storied Alpe d'Huez.  Yes, I still have that bike, but I also have another speed machine that is Tri specific along with shoes and my Garmins!  Am I really a Trigeek now?!?!?)
Uncle Louie and his crew after a ride in Asheville.

The really great thing about my love for Triathlon is that others are catching the fever!  My Uncle Louie (or rather The Rev. Dr. Louie V. Andrews III master of social justice issues.)  has begun to ride.  I was able to help him purchase a new bike a few years ago and now he lives in the mountains of Virginia.  He is probably going to blow by me on the hills now.

In all honesty, I Tri because I can!  It was about running from something and now it is simply a way of life.  Since the fabled phone call on the bike, I have raced a marathon, several half marathons and a countless number of triathlons. At present, I am hoping to break the six hour mark a Raleigh (or at least beat Brian!).  In the end, I am thankful the I discovered triathlon because it opened a whole new world of friendships as well as opening my mind to the idea that one can have a plan, but plans are not concrete.  Triathlon training can be surprising and some days you simply need to listen to your body and take a rest day.  Life is akin to this metaphor.  You can have plans and hope they come to fruition, but like injuries that occur, life throws a wrench in your plans and you have to reevaluate.  Thankfully, in moving back to Greensboro and continually training and reevaluating I have formulated a new "idea" for where my life will go.  Hopefully, when I finish my degree at High Point University I can better advocate for students.

A Little Valentine's for Everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment