Sunday, February 10, 2013

Riding. Running. and... RELAYS!!

First mile repeats of the season! MASSACRE!!
It has been a great week!  First of all, the musical I am directing is going extremely well.  There is a little over six weeks before Godspell opens and the cast is really starting to click!  We are almost through the blocking of Act I.  I met with the choreographer this week and she completely buys into the vision.  The one thing I can say is that I have started to find some balance in the world of training, work and grad school.  It has been a bit difficult, but I've realized that I have to cut down on some two-a-days and really settle into quality workouts.  Every mile logged needs to be focused and there is no time for "junk miles" (or as my Aunt stated "You ain't got time for that!")  I can honestly say that this week overall, even as long as it seemed, was a much more fulfilling week training wise and I had much more power on the bike than last week's frigid 70 mile sufferfest.  (But, with rehearsal, work and school it seems like the only times I am able to get on the bike outside are Saturday or Sunday.  I am very thankful that my friend John Cerra rode and put up with my intervals on Saturday for a 38 miler.  It was a beautiful ride.
So thankful for Hulu!

This week was seemingly going to be a regular week where I slogged through training, went to work and came home to do it all over again, but then something really interesting happened.  My friend +mandy castle called me on Friday saying that one of the runners for their four person relay team in the Valentine's Massacre Relay Marathon had fallen ill and was wondering if I would run in her place.  I have not raced since the Greensboro Gobbler on Thanksgiving and even then I was not in full race shape.  To be honest, I have been in a build phase because I truly enjoyed an off season where I ran or biked because I wanted to, not because I was sticking to a schedule.  (Yes, I realize that I am still behind on the swimming!!)  This opportunity was interesting because each person in the relay ran roughly 1-2 miles; this meant that I was getting thrust right into mile repeats on a Sunday no less!! I couldn't have asked for a more fun and engaging time.  The atmosphere was like a huge party as you waited for your team to run around Country Park.  If you know anything about Country Park it is the antithesis of flat.  The course rolls and rolls and rolls.  Fortunately, the route was the reverse route of the Gobbler and there was a fast downhill towards the Start/Finish.  (Warning: The video below has one mild "Adult Word".  In my defense, it was REALLY COLD!)
Angelica was REALLY FAST today!

The group I ran with was a mixed bag of runners.  I stepped in for Angelica and managed to keep my splits around 6:30 miles.  I have to say that is pretty good for the terrain and not having done any true speed work in months!  The running joke was that Angelica was running SUPER FAST in today's race.  As the day went on the clothes started to shed. I started in tights and arm warmers and ended in a shirt and shorts.  Thankfully, years of triathlon have taught me how to do the "deck change" or "triathlon shuffle".  Now, those who know me know that I do have a bit of a competitive streak, but ultimately I put that aside and simply enjoyed the atmosphere of this awesome event.  It was amazing to see people shoot out of the Start/Finish after the baton hand off.  There were a few of my Cross Country runners that had a relay team and they truly rocked out!  There were kids who couldn't have been older than third grade on a relay team.  This one kid painted his face white and was decked out in red and white as if he was a Valentine.  I usually don't get all excited about a Valentine's Day event, but this was totally different.  It was such a party!  Yes, there were groups attempting to win, but overall people were just partying!  The team from Elite 3/CompassElite  was out there keeping the party going.  I must thank them for the "recovery drink" I had after my last lap.  One of the competitive teams featured my friend and her colleague, Dr. Jordan McAmmond.  (Thanks Jordan for letting me pace off of you for the first lap.)  She was running a two person relay and totally rocked out!  Jordan is engaged to The Shannon who had a feature last week.  If those two ever have children they will be freaks of nature with super endurance and stupid fast!!
Under 4 hours for the Marathon!
The team I was on couldn't have been more of a hodgepodge of runners.  The young lady in the brown jacket is Anya.  She was a Russian Dancer and is now a vicious attorney.  This was her first race in quite some time and she was rocking 10:00 miles!  I couldn't have been more proud of the work she put in.  Mandy, the young lady in the green, had already run 5 miles over to the race because she had to run a total of 16 miles in preparation for the Shamrock Marathon that she and the Streakers will be running in March.  (She is also a vicious litigator.) Drew, the young man in grey, and Angelica's beau was running solid 7/8:30 minute splits.  I was so proud that our team put together a sub-4 hour marathon.  (A true sub-4 hour not a Paul Ryan sub-3 hour marathon!  Sorry, it was too easy.)  Even though we didn't win anything, I couldn't have had a better team.
She said yes!
To top off what was an amazing race, there was a proposal at the Start/Finish at the end of the race and she said yes! What a way to relay a marathon together!  Everyone gathered around the Start/Finish to capture this moment.  I can honestly say that it was a perfect moment.  (This week, while excellent came with heavy news.  Aimee Buchanan passed away from complications with the flu.  She and her husband were highly influential in my brother and sister-in-law's college years.  It was awesome to see the beacon of light at the race after hearing that one of the PC(USA)'s bright minds and spirits had left us suddenly.)  There is no better place than to "pop the question" than a place where both people are doing an activity they both love!


Patty and I getting crazy!
A great week and as I write this the clock is inching towards 10:30pm and I will turn into a pumpkin if I don't go to bed soon.  Unfortunately, there is no full section this week dedicated to "Joking on Jester".  All I can say is that way to go running a 5K this week for training.  I have registered for Azalea and I am ready to roll, how about you?  I also registered for Rev3 Williamsburg!!!  I am super excited about that race.  Granted it is three weeks after Raleigh Ironman 70.3, but as the popular phrase goes YOLO!  It was that motto that led me to do the awesome relay today.  I suppose I simply want to say thanks to +mandy castle  for thinking of me to fill in when Angelica became sick.  I also want to thank her because I have met some extraordinary people over the past few weeks.  Guess it is cool to have lawyer friends!  (Oh, and Mandy don't forget that I have placed a "Gentlemen's Agreement" and you are going vegan for at least a week.  HUZZAH!)  Good night people and stay crazy!
I got MAD MOVES!  Dancing to MJ as I wait for the baton.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great race, sounds like you had a blast! Oh, and your running form looks really good!

    ReplyDelete