Sunday, March 2, 2014

Powder, Pounding, and Pancakes (Alliteration is BACK FOLKS!!)

Look to the left of the image and that is me running up Piedmont Parkway on a snowy Tuesday when the Winter Storm Pax hit.  The photographer, Carly Wrenn, was stuck in traffic and saw me running through the snow.  Needless to say, this has been an interesting winter here in North Carolina!  One day it is snowing and others the temperatures have gotten up to 70*... CRAZY!!

I have been able to ride outside three times and the rest of the riding has been relegated to the trainer.  I chose to take a Power Class that is being coached by my old friend Tommy Rodgers over at E3 Elite Human Performance to gain strength on the bike.  Tommy sure knows how to put us all in "The Pain Cave".  Hopefully, these crazy intervals will pay off come Tri Season.

Speaking of Tri Season...

My first official race will be Rev3 Rush in Richmond, VA!  This is an incredibly cool format.  The race will take place over two days on Richmond International Motor Speedway.  It is a draft legal bike, ITU format.  I will be looking to utilize some old school bike racing tactics during this race.  (Yes, Landen Acebo, hopefully I won't crash and scream in agony like I did years ago at Dixie Classic.)  Rev3 is really focusing on creating an atmosphere that is open to all ages.  Rush will allow relay teams, youth as well as age group athletes.  If I am lucky, I might make it to the finals on the Sunday.  Guess I'll have to race four heats in order to get my best qualifying time.  

The overall goal for Tri season is to finish a 70.3 in under 6:00:00.  I will be racing Rev3 Williamsburg in June; hopefully this will be the destined race where I make that stride.

A Quick Review (The Best DAMN running Shoes EVER!!)

I have run in A LOT of shoes over the past year.  Yes, I have shoes for track workouts that I also use to race 5K-10Ks.  BUT, I have to say that I have raced two half marathons, Asheville and Mistletoe, in the Pearl Izumi N2 and they have become a regular go-to shoe!  Almost all the High Point Fleet Feet/ONR Pub Runners have purchased a pair of N2s or M2s and are highly pleased.  (Well except VaLArie, but we have no clue what is going on with her feet!  Kayanos, Transcends, M2s... toe nails gone and we all know that she needs her pedicures weekly!)  

I took the N2s out today for an LSD of twelve miles and they responded fantastically!  The dynamic drop is incredible.  The shoe is never levels and rolls with your foot strike.  As a midfoot/forefoot striker, it truly propels me forward and also allows me to run freely through the downhills.  The only complaint I have about the shoe is that the tongue slips to the side during runs.  The M2 trails (which I also am in love with) lock in the tongue and do not have this issue.  Jeremy recently purchased a pair of T2s, the tri specific shoe, and has raved about its responsiveness and comfort.  I am hoping to move into the T2s for the season (no more buying awkward speed laces.)  

I chose to quickly review this shoe today because last week I ran in my Bondi Bs and they did not respond as well as they normally do.  I felt sluggish so I consciously wore the N2s just to see how they felt and we even picked up the pace to 7:20s at the end of the run and it was like being on cruise control!  One thing to remember is that even though I love the N2 and have introduced others to it, you must find the right shoe for you.  (We'll be glad to fit you at Fleet Feet/Off'n Running!  And just maybe you'll fall in love with Pearl Izumi's EMotion technology as well!)

Pancakes!!!

Fueling up after 12.5 miles! 
This morning Mike and I decided to resurrect the Pancake Run.  I have been very cautious with my nutrition lately as I prepare for the season and the Rev3 Team Summit (shimmer suit photo??  Yeah, I'm scared!!).  Today I through caution to the wind and indulged in what has come to be known as the Johnny Redwine special.  Bill Lamb showed up at the end of the run for the pancakes.  He ate chicken and waffles that looked incredible!  It was a great time of friends and fellowship (and this is Clean, right JSmalls?!?!?)

These past few weeks have been filled with snowstorms, upheaval and new beginnings.  I want to take a second and thank a few people who have really been there during this time. 

1. Michael and Lauren Vance:  I am simply honored to call you my friends and look forward to many more dinners and races.

2. Jeremy and Valarie Yoemans: You guys are like a family and sometimes I feel like that lost brother who comes around.  Thanks for all the runs, chats and KIKS!

3. HP Pub Runners: You are all an incredible group of people.  Thanks to our awesome gang of misfits I have been able to reconnect with my old SigEp big brother, Josh Apel.  

4. Kathryn Campbell: COACH!

5. Tommy Rodgers: It has been great reconnecting with you through the power class.  It has been too long!

6. Carole Sharpless: Thanks for the emails and checking in, Momma Bear!  Also, thanks for the teasing in the emails.

7. Of course my folks and my brother and sister-in-law.

7. And my new Tri Family Team Rev3:  There are so many emails in my inbox reading all of the threads has become a full time job!

2 comments:

  1. so not clean!! lol But that's ok...I live by the 90/10 rule!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew - my name is Tim Hillen (sorry this is the only way I could find to contact you). My company (enfinity health, winston salem tri club) is putting on an open water swim clinic and fun race (distance up to 5 miles) at Belews Lake. The clinic is featuring pro haley chura and we would love to try to gather some GSO triathletes to attend, as the clinic is technically on your "home court" - let me know if of interest. thillen@enfinityfit.com / I got your info bv just seeing who did the belews lake race last week .. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete