Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Putting This Off...

Wasn't this movie in a word, AWESOME?!?!  I saw it twice.  Once at the midnight showing in 2D and then a second time in IMAX 3D!  It was even better in 3D.  I think the most chilling moment is when Cumberbatch says, "My name is Khan!"  The whole theatre pretty much flipped out.  You may ask, why I am I writing about such an awesome movie?  To tell the truth, I think the last time I posted was pretty much when this movie was still in theatres.  So, keep that in perspective because we are going to be covering A LOT of ground in this post!

Gorges EVERYWHERE!










ITHACA IS...

The week of July fourth was spent in Upstate New York, specifically Ithaca, NY.  There is a saying in Ithaca and that is that "Ithaca is ..." well a lot of things between Cold, Gorges and other innuendo.  I'll simply say that it is amazingly beautiful.  Ithaca is roughly 450' above sea level.  That doesn't seem like a lot due to the fact that Greensboro is close to 600' or more above sea level, but it is definitely A LOT hillier.  There is one road name Buffalo Rd and if you can run up it without getting winded then you are a superstar.  (Yeah, I'm calling you out on this STRAVA section Mike Vance!!)  We spent much of the time in Ithaca eating a local eateries and hiking the many trails.  We must have hiked at least twenty miles that week.  Along each hike were at least five gorges.  These are beautiful, yet deadly waterfalls.  As my brother Jonathan stated, "It is amazing how much nature doesn't give a _______ about you!"  You will simply have to make the thirteen hour drive up there for yourselves to see just how awesome the most educated town in America is!  I am excited to go back next summer, and next summer I'm bringing all my Tri gear because there are some awesome routes to train on.

Shoes have been christened!
Funner Runner Update

WOW!!  These guys are getting speedy!  Let's just say that records are being broken.  The Palladium Funner Runners have been an extremely rewarding experience for me.  I want to thank Off 'n Running and especially the owner John Dewey for having faith in me to lead the group towards their running goals.  Each week a member of the group expresses how running has actually become "funner" and that the group workouts have been a great source of encouragement.  One of the runners, who also runs cross country for SWGHS, has improved her times and increased her endurance; she ran twelve miles without stopping.  This is a success story if I've ever heard one!  Another runner and I have become great friends and he is even getting faster than me (guess I'm going to have to start giving him bad advice and terrible training methods now!)  In all seriousness, I look forward to writing the weekly training plans and the group workouts.  I love running, but taking my love for running and inspiring others has truly helped me find a greater joy in the sport!

Repping Rev3 at a local Race

Mission Man Tri

I signed up for Mission Man Sprint Tri with my friend John Cerra to celebrate the fact that we have been doing this crazy sport for over five years.  This was the first Tri that John and me participated in together.  This year was "insanely great"!  I placed third in my age group with a finishing time of 1:19:41.  This was the first swim that I actually freestyled nearly 100% through.  The bike was rolling and I did decently, but the run is where I rocked out!  I almost broke 19:59 on the 5K double trail loop.  It was great because the guy who is getting fast, Jeremy Yoemans, his wife Valarie and daughter Mia came to the race.  Valarie was curious about this whole Triathlon thing and she will be doing Ramblin' Rose in October!  Way to go VAL!!!  They created some awesome signs to cheer me on, one was a mantra that I began to say as I started the second loop of the run... "SHUT UP LEGS!"  Yes, I stole this from Radio Shack rider Jens Voigt, but it worked!




Also titled: Why I have been putting off this Blog Post!

I caught your attention with the Star Trek Into Darkness opening (and the J.J. Abrams Star Trek theme is piping through Pandora as I write this).  I wrote about some really cool summer experiences, but I left out a few tiny details.  Well, not tiny at all... more like MAJOR DETAILS.  In a past post I discussed graduating from HPU with my master's and I also become a licensed K-12 principal.  This summer I have sent out countless resumes and applied to several positions.  Thus far, I have had three interviews with three rejections.  They write amazing rejection letters, though; best break up letters I have ever received,  Nonetheless, these notices have been disheartening to say the least.  I have honestly been putting this post off because I thought that I would be employed as an assistant principal position before writing this post.  Well, it hasn't happened!  I have been frustrated and at times down right depressed, but I remember that I can sit and sulk or go ride my bike or run.  (Or if even smash the weights at ABSolute Fitness NC!)  Nothing good comes from sulking and as my friend, Dawn Davis says, "Apply interview and move on!"  

With all this said, I do have an interview tomorrow at a A.B. Combs Elementary in Raleigh, NC.  It is for a teacher leadership position in concert with magnet coordinator.  This school is a STEM and Leadership magnet that has been recognized nationally.  On a more personal note, it is a mere walk from my cousin's house!  Needless to say, I do hope to "get the gig".  I suppose I'll go for a run tomorrow before hopping in the car to focus my head.  So, I chose to write this blog, and yes I am hoping your collective good thoughts will bring a positive outcome from the interview!

Who wouldn't want to be closer to this awesome guy.  My buddy, ELI!!!


Until next time... (Asheville Half Marathon is approaching fast!)

No comments:

Post a Comment