Sunday, January 27, 2013

Khan!! (The Winter Storm, that is!)

Classic Moment from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

So, the winter storm Khan struck on Friday creating an ice skating rink on all roads.  I think the image above about covers how all triathletes, cyclists and runners feel when there is over an inch of ice on the ground!  We may not be marooned on a barren planet by our arch-nemesis, but we have been regulated to the dreadmill and our trainers.  Not to mention, that in the south grocery stores are completely out of milk and bread!  Why is it that as a native of North Carolina that whenever winter weather strikes milk sandwiches are the staple?  It make me happy as a vegan because there are plenty of juices, nuts and other delicious things.  I will say that living in a college town it is milk, bread and beer that disappears from the aisles.  Now, if it is delicious IPAs I can get behind that choice!

I thought this was funnier than seeing what I REALLY looked like!
So, as the last blog stated I was hit like a freight train with a sinus infection!  Aside from dealing with Khan (yes, it is still funny!), I only lifted this week at ABsolute Fitness NC .  I was trying to be as cautious as possible because crude had been slowly creeping into my lungs.  According to Joe Friel, endurance coach extraordinaire this condition could lead to greater complications.  So, I didn't do any real triathlon focused training this week.

Oh, and this raises a question.  I was introduced while hanging out at one of Greensboro's fine late night establishments as an Ironman.  I politely tried to correct this error by saying I've only conquered the 70.3 distance twice, but throughout the night I kept being introduced as "Ironman". Now, I intend no disrespect to those who have finished the hallowed 140.6 distance, but at what time do you just let it go?  (Mind you the guy had been enjoying the fine establishments for some time that evening.)  I thought it polite to let it go, but to you guys I am apologizing because honestly, I have yet to earn the right to be called a true "Ironman".  (Well, I do have that really cool suit that flies...)

Introducing...
Mike at Off'nRunning Palladium!  He's a winner (according to the mug he's sporting!)
Locals, pop by Off'n Running at the Palladium and say hi to Mike.  He's from Ithaca!  When I first met him I was wearing my Big Red Cornell sweatshirt and had to graciously clear up that it is my younger brother who got the real brains in the family.  I simply just rep the awesome, comfortable sweatshirt he got me a few Christmases ago.  Mike, along with the rest of the OnR Palladium crew can hook you up with all your Khan surviving needs.  I bought a new pair of bright orange Saucony arm warmers and Hot Hands when I visited there after school was dismissed three hours early due to Khan on Friday.  (Yes, I am going to keep referring to the storm by name!)  So, when you are able to get out after being frozen in go so hi to Mike and maybe he'll hook you up with a mug and some hot chocolate!

Triguy (me) and Kurt at the halfway of a crushing 11 miler!

After being iced in and having a sinus infection, Capt. Kurt got me out and we did a crazy 11 miler!  I posted in it on the Daily Mile.  We started extra slow posting 10-11 minute mile splits and on the way back dropped the hammer doing 8:30-8:10 mile splits.  The last mile was 7:29.  It felt like we were flying!  I was simply glad to get out of the house.  (Although, I must say I have caught up on some serious Hulu!  New Girl has become a bit of an obsession!)  The Chipotle after the run tasted amazing!!  Gauc is seriously one of the most delicious things ever.  


Now for this week's installment of Joking on Jester
Jester taunts me whilst I'm down!
This unofficial taunt you created for me on and posted on Facebook was awesome!  Let's see I lifted twice this week and today I did run 11, but being knocked down with a mean case of sinuses left my Daily Mile quite empty.  But, I'm going to turn it around!  Let's see as for you, I have seen posts about "running" on elliptical machines and "riding" on recumbent bikes.  

Your new bike, sir!
This sir, is your new bike!  It comes equipped with the latest and greatest safety flag.  You can carry all your nutritional needs for the Azalea Super Sprint Tri in the rear compartment and the water bottles fit neatly under the seat.  I guess with the luxury and comfort of this fine machine you won't have to worry about saddle issues.  I know that while I'll be flying through the course on the Speed Concept that you'll be riding in reclined style on this trusty new steed!











My protection from Khan!
Well, Tri Folks stay warm and safe out there!  Remember that there is nothing wrong with hitting up the dreadmill if it means that you will stay up right and not slip and bust open your face on ice left by Khan.  (Or in Kurt's case get attacked by little dogs!)  I will say that Kurt and I are a bit scared because The Sarge is returning from Colorado.  She has spent over a week at elevation!  She will be crushing it when she returns!  

Have a great week and I look forward into getting back into a better rhythm (otherwise I'll endure more taunts from The Jester!)  So, I'll close this post with a video that sums up the frustration ice, cold and colds have created this week!




1 comment:

  1. Hope you are ready for some serious workouts next weekend! I'm coming back w/ some extra red blood cells for ya! haha Oh and what the heck, you let Kurt kick a dog in the face!!???

    ReplyDelete