Thursday, June 20, 2013

Races, Laces, Oh Good Gracious!!


Recovery from Raleigh 70.3 has been going all right.  The legs have almost come around completely, but I have been having some achilles issues.  That has probably been the most frustrating experience, but on the other hand I did set a new PR in the Tour de Kale 5K running in the Brooks Pure Cadence.  Most of ya'll know that I am a HUGE fan of the Brooks Pure Connects, but with the calves revolting lately I thought just a touch more cushion might be a needed.  Well, these bad boys can fly just as well without absolutely killing my calves.  I think that I might be swapping in and out between Cadence and Connect.  The Pure Flow are just a bit too wide for my feet.

I also will continue to use my Pure Flows for shorter distances, but like I said, deciding to jump into this fun Glow in the Dark 5K in the middle of a recovery/build up period to Rev3 Williamsburg I needed more cushion.  I finished the race in 19:18 chip and clock time!  I was about two tenths of a mile from the finish and could see the clock at 18:36 and thought to myself, "I just can't go any harder!"  (The first mile out was 5:43 which coincidentally is my fastest mile, EVER!)  So I ran my pace and still PR'd.  (My last PR was a little less than a year ago and it was 19:29!  Come on, 18:and change has to be around the corner.  As I fell off the lead pack, another runner stayed with me.  Funny thing is, he sprinted past me
at the finish, was in my age group and took first in the 30-39 age group by ONE SECOND!!  Guess I need to work on the sprint, or as +AbsoluteFitness NC Ron Kennedy says, "You're fast, but not quick."  Fast being sustained over a duration of time, while quick being able to have explosive short bursts of speed.  Think Usain Bolt and Mark Cavendish as being quick and Fabian Cancellara and Ryan Hall as being fast.  (I could use a football analogy, but that would just not fit in with the Endurance theme of the blog!)

So quick he has time to make phone calls!
So, after wrapping up the school year, attending my last meeting as a District Director for NCAE and trying to recover I have been pretty lazy this week.  Well, lazy if you consider applying for assistant principal positions and creating class lists for the GCS Summer Arts Institute.  But, it has been nice to simply sit in my chair for long periods at a time and catch up on TV.  (Remember, recovery!  Anything to help the achilles heal  and by anything, I mean anything even if it means experimenting with new shoes other than the Brooks Pure Project line.)  Yes, yes sirs and ma'am's I am running in the weirdest, yet coolest show I've ever tried!  The Hoka One One Bondi-B.  Hoka One One calls themselves "The Ultra Running Company".  The shoes are 4mm heel drop, but that is where they COMPLETELY differ from a minimalist shoe.  The shoes actually has maximum cushioning.  When you run in the shoes you kind of feel like Tigger.
Now that's cushioning!

After the 5K, I ran the Sunday Pancake Run with Michael Vance and Jeremy (I can't spell his last name) for 7 miles.  These shoes completely flew downhills and had amazing spring on the uphills and flats.  Seriously, Tigger, folks!  I then used them again at the Pub Run and again I felt like I was running on clouds.  These are some rocking shoes.  Now, I did have some minor achilles pain in these shoes, but having taken a break from my Zero Drop and lightly cushioned shoes the pain wasn't excruciating.  I might even use these in Williamsburg, well these or the Cadences.  (Oh no, I'll need Tri-Laces for a faster transition.... #triathleteproblems feel free to use this hashtag.)

I leave for Williamsburg in a day and need to fold clothes and pack; two things I detest doing, but such if the life of destination races.  (Once again, #triathleteproblems).  Until then, I'll apply for more AP positions and ready myself for SAI immersion weeks.  Anyone out there reading this send good thoughts as I go through the job hunt process, it is full of a lot of WAITING!  I suppose while I wait, I'll swim in Belews Lake and continue to enjoy the awesome friendships created through training.  And speaking of training, I am having a BLAST coaching the Palladium Funner Runners!  An awesome group of people who are Funner Running there way to Asheville, NC Citizen-Times Race weekend!  (Don't forget to register Funner Runners!)  So, I'll leave you with this short video that describe how I feel when running in the Hoka One One Bondi-B.  Time to drink my greens with some Cacoa (or Cocoa!)




No comments:

Post a Comment