Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter and Triathlon




I realize that this is Jake from "Life is Good", but after having directed Godspell and having sat through Easter services I sort of had a bit of a revelation. How many of us Tri-geeks worship the next "A" race or Ironman?  I would gather to say that all too often we put in the hours of training and near monk-like eating habits to merely beat the last best time. When was the last time we actually took a look and said, "Wow, I just rode 50 miles!", or "I got to run with my mother/best friend/significant other."?  I would say for many of us not often enough. There comes a point, especially for those of us who are age groupers, when we forget to simply "Enjoy the ride". 


This brings me to my point about Religion. Now, I can truly only speak about the Christian faith because that is the tradition that I have grown up with and practice. (Some months are better than others, but no one is perfect, right?)  The season that just wrapped up today was Lent.  It is a time where some people give something up to remember the sacrifice of the Christ. Personally, I haven't given anything up at all in many years except pickled watermelon. If The Rev. Dr. Louie V. Andrews, Jr. says that they are good enough to give up each year then who am I to argue with Granddad?  (And I haven't touched 'em so Lent worked!)


Mom and I after the Gobbler!  A Real Easter Moment


But back to the purpose.  We often live, as Christians, and I dare say people as a whole, waiting for the next thing and forgetting what is right in front of us. We forget that when we go to a house of worship that we get to sing wonderful music and see new and old friends.  It is as if church is something we do instead of being where we are.  How many end of the world scenarios have some crazy person stated just because they think that it will bring they're religious view closer. As we "train" through Lent for the Easter and give up something, perhaps we should think of what we could add to more enrich our lives. This is akin to training. Instead of thinking of it as preparation for the Easter race, yeah I went there, all the time between is spent training with friends and alone in order to better fill our lives. Just as with Christianity and Easter, leaving many feeling like, "Now what?" Post A race blues shouldn't feel the same way. The "Now What" is continuing to live each day in fullness and be present with those around us.                                              

So, as Easter has come and gone now, how will you live in an Easter world? Will you simply say, "Well, I can have chocolate again?" or "Until the next race?" or will you embrace that each training session is renewing you wholly and it is precious time spent with family and friends?  Instead of saying, "I'm a triathlete." It is so awesome to think, "I get to train and get to do triathlon!"

These videos are constant reminders that each training moment is filled with Easter moments (and really good food!!)




No comments:

Post a Comment